- How do we enjoy the beauty of God/salvation? Can we really choose to enjoy/appreciate the beauty of something?
- What if the person is afraid of social gatherings, such that he's extremely uncomfortable attending church service?
- Do we have to take everything in the bible literally? If not, then how do we decide which parts are literal and which are figurative?
- According to the article, there are two necessary conditions for salvation: (1) to believe in the truth of Christianity, and (2) to appreciate its beauty. As you said, going to church is not a necessary condition for salvation but can be instrumental to achieving (2). But how 'bout the study of scripture, prayer time, and living your life according to scripture, are these necessary conditions for salvation? Or are they instrumental for achieving (2)?
- About prayer, I pray everyday but informally (i.e., while going about daily tasks). I talk to God. Are there specific things I should be praying for?
- I guess, I can pray to God to help me appreciate the beauty and worth of the truth of Christianity? Will that work, though?
- Even if I don't laboriously utter specific words, he will still know exactly what I'm praying for. He will know that I want him to help me appreciate the beauty of Christianity, to help me be saved. Since he's all powerful and all-knowing. Actually, I don't even need to set aside specific time for prayers. If He knows I don't feel like setting aside time for prayers alone, then it would be equal to deception if I force myself. He knows anyway and it's useless to deceive him. At the moment, I am talking to him (while typing this message) and praying for these things you mentioned - isn't this as valid as prayers that are done while doing nothing else?
It's not a voluntary thing, I suppose. Except the part that you want it to happen so you do something about it. We ask it from God through prayer and study of Scripture. Usually, this is the time when the person is invited to church or to small groups because those also help. It is, then, God's work to open our eyes to the beauty through the Holy Spirit. It's akin to falling in love. You can spend so much time with someone until there comes a time when you just suddenly see the person differently. It may take a while, but we are asked to wait.
Every Christian is supposed to be part of the church. It's God's design. They get to help you with your faith and the following of commandments, and you get to do that for them, too. Plus, you get to worship God collectively. It's not a necessary condition for salvation, or in spiritual growth, but it's the ideal set up.
In my case, I try to find a more comfortable set up. I go with someone I'm comfortable with. Or I stick to school fellowships since I'm more comfortable there. Or at the very least, I just make sure to gather with some friends to talk about faith. "For where two or three gather in my name, there am I with them.” Matt 18:20
Still, more important than gathering with a church is your own walk with God: your study of Scripture, prayer time and how you try to live your life according to Scripture. Because before a church accepts you as an official member, they have to be sure of your faith or something.
No, not everything in the bible is supposed to be taken literally. Christians themselves disagree on which parts are literal and figurative. In my own study, though, I see it as a real piece of literary art that makes use of metaphors, and other literary techniques in order to deliver a point, usually principles about faith. Like, moral lessons? More than if something really happened or not, I think these lessons are what I study them for.
It's still not clear to me how to distinguish which should be taken literally and which figuratively. But this question seems deductive-- assuming a general law from which to draw particular instances. There's no such general law about interpreting the bible, especially if we consider what it contains: an anthology written by different authors (though inspired by the same Holy Spirit), in different styles, in different forms, in order to preach the same message. But the guide I use when I read is that my understanding of one part should be consistent with the principles I've read in the other parts. If they don't match, I'm pretty sure I'm missing something.
Scripture, prayer time and the 'Christian life' are all instrumental to (2) and not necessary conditions for salvation. Aside from being instrumental, they also help in assuring you that your faith is indeed true.
Informal prayers are ok. But it's very base. I mean-- there is a more fulfilling way to pray and that involves setting aside an actual time to do nothing else but talk to God. There are also other elements of prayer aside from asking for supplication. There's also praise and worship, thanksgiving, and confession. Jesus gives us an idea of what a prayer is like in Matt 6: 9- 13, it's the Our Father of the Catholics:
"This, then, is how you should pray: " 'Our Father in heaven, hallowed be your name, your kingdom come, your will be done on earth as it is in heaven. Give us today our daily bread. Forgive us our debts, as we also have forgiven our debtors. And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from the evil one. ' "
As a model prayer, it has all the elements I've mentioned. But you can really say anything, and I really mean anything just as long as it is what is truly in your heart. He would know anyway if you're just saying things you don't mean. And that would be wrong.
It will work. That's exactly the kind of prayer that he grants because that is precisely his will. "This is the confidence we have in approaching God: that if we ask anything according to his will, he hears us. And if we know that he hears us—whatever we ask—we know that we have what we asked of him." 1 John 5:14-15
Besides, He's the only one who can help us with that. That's the very thing we Christians constantly have to pray for. The entire Christian life, including interest in reading Scripture, going to church, sharing our faith and praying, depends on God. As sinners, we have no natural capacity to even desire to do those things on our own. We cannot appreciate the beauty of God on our own because it's too far from our sinful nature. Even in reading Scripture, we have to ask God to help us interpret it correctly. It is only through the Holy Spirit working in us that we are able to do such things, or even just be able to want to be able to do such things.
Of course, you don't actually need to pray for God to know what's in your heart. God already knows even before you ask. But I believe prayer isn't really to let Him know these things. It's for our own sake, so that it would be clear to us what we want to happen, how we feel about him, what we did wrong, what we're thankful about, or when a prayer is answered. It's meant to address our need as humans who need to talk to get something across, or to relieve feelings.
If it's hard to talk, it can be written down. Prayer is like having a conversation with someone. You can do it while doing something else, but it's more special if you actually set some time for just doing that. Just like spending quality time with someone.
That's what I mean by a more fulfilling prayer time.
Also, that's how Jesus prayed. He isolated himself from the crowds that followed him around, and went where the hustles of daily life could not disturb him. And he being God himself, didn't actually need to pray, but he still did. And that particular way, too.
No comments:
Post a Comment